Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Key to Communication












My husband and I recently put our house on the market. We had it built only two years ago but are quickly out growing it. Upon hiring a realtor, our selection was based on the one that will "get the job done". Annually, our realtor sells more properties than any other realtor in the area.
Yesterday I called him at 10 in the morning with a time sensitive question. He answered, and asked if he could call me back. Of course I understood that he could be busy and I did not mind, thinking he would just call later in the day.
But, I waited all day and the moment I needed him had passed. Then, the next morning at 9:30 a.m. (almost 24 hours later) he called. He said he was sorry he didn't call, but he was "swamped" yesterday.
As as fairly new business owner, I am constantly looking at things that happen in my life and comparing them to how I am running my business.
After this conversation, I realized you are NEVER too busy to call a paying client! Emergencies are one thing, and clients understand when you tell them after the fact. But saying you are "too busy", is like saying you are "too busy for them".
The experience I felt after not receiving a call when he said he would, will take a while for me to forget. But I cherish it at the same time, because I now am aware of what a client feels like, and will always remember to keep my word and communicate.
Moral of the story: Communicate! It will save you from heartache and gain you respect.